Sullivan & Cromwell’s relationship with George Washington University Law School dates back to 1911, when John Foster Dulles, a major figure in the history of both the Firm and international diplomacy, joined as an associate. In addition to his service as chair of the Firm, Dulles went on to become a United States Senator and then Secretary of State under President Eisenhower.
Today, alumni of George Washington University Law School at Sullivan & Cromwell practice within a broad range of areas under our General Practice (corporate) and Litigation groups in both our domestic and international offices. Five S&C partners are graduates of GW Law:
- Ari Blaut (GW '07), a New York based partner in the firm's Finance and Restructuring Group who is among a select group of lawyers to have been recognized for their work in both bank lending and debt capital markets;
- Audra Cohen (GW ’92), a New York-based Mergers and Acquisitions partner who serves as co-head of the Firm’s Consumer Products & Retail Group;
- Bob Downes (GW ’91), the co-head of the Firm’s General Practice Group and a member of the AEC;
- Mark Rosenberg (GW ’80), a Litigation partner who serves as coordinator of S&C’s Environmental Law and Insurance Groups; and
- Sam Woodall (GW ’01), a Washington, D.C.-based General Practice partner who represents a variety of clients before the U.S. Congress, as well as before executive branch and federal financial regulatory agencies.
S&C lawyers continue to be involved with GW Law. Eric Kadel, a partner in the D.C. office, is an adjunct professor. Bob Downes, a New York-based partner and member of the Board of the Center for Law, Economics & Finance (C-LEAF), and Wendy Goldberg (GW '00), a New York-based special counsel in our financial services group, recently hosted a C-LEAF sponsored summer workshop titled “The Regulatory Dimensions of Deal Making Workshop.”
In addition to becoming partners at the Firm, GW Law alumni who join S&C go on to pursue a range of prestigious opportunities. S&C alumni who attended GW Law School currently work in finance, consulting and as counsel to major corporations.
You can learn more about GW Law alumni at S&C on these pages. We hope to see you on campus.