A seat in our General Practice Group will provide you with a thorough and broad-based training in the legal, technical and organisational skills required to be a successful well-round business lawyer. The group comprises lawyers working in a wide range of different practice areas, including the following:
- Mergers and Acquisitions, in which we help clients of all sizes to structure, negotiate, complete and implement all types of M&A transactions, including acquisitions, disposals, joint ventures, partnerships, minority investments and strategic alliances, across all industry sectors.
- Capital Markets, in which we work with both issuer and underwriter clients on some of the largest, most intricate and most significant securities transactions, whether involving shares, bonds or other securities.
- Private Equity, in which we advise some of the world’s leading privately managed funds on all aspects of the investments they make, including issues related to M&A, consortium arrangements and financing.
- Project Finance, in which we advise project sponsors, lenders and governments and other agencies on the development, construction, operation and financing of some of the world’s most important infrastructure and natural resources projects.
- Credit, Leveraged and Acquisition Finance, in which we work with borrower and lender clients on all types of financing arrangements, including bank and bond financing being raised for acquisitions, the refinancing and restructuring of existing bank or bond financing, and bank or bond financing that is secured against particular assets or revenues.
- Restructuring, in which we work with banks and other financial investors, companies and their directors, and other professionals to help companies in financial distress reschedule or restructure their debt, raise new capital, sell assets or reorganise their businesses.
- Real Estate, in which we work with investors on their investments in real estate transactions in a wide range of countries.
A seat in our EU Competition Law Group will expose you to a varied spectrum of work. This could involve merger control work, including competition law aspects of M&A transactions and the obtaining of the requisite competition law approvals. You might also represent companies under investigation by the European Commission or relevant national authorities for alleged breach of competition law, as well as provide advice to clients on general competition law issues and on EU state aid issues.
The Firm’s U.K. Tax Group deals with a variety of contentious and noncontentious U.K. and cross-border tax work. Your work may include offering advice on tax aspects of M&A, private equity, capital markets and other financing transactions; structuring investment funds; and advising on tax aspects of employee incentives. Tax is a fast-moving area in which EU and other international developments are increasingly significant.