Sullivan & Cromwell has had a substantial presence in California for over 30 years, operating from two closely coordinated offices in Los Angeles and Palo Alto. Our California offices offer unique advantages to attorneys interested in living in California and working in the environment of a relatively smaller office, but with the quality of practice, challenge and resources of a major international law firm.
The California offices were founded by lawyers who began their legal careers with S&C, rather than by lateral acquisition, and have been developed from within. Many of our lawyers have worked in or worked with lawyers from our offices around the world throughout their careers. These close and long-standing professional relationships help make the two California offices a cohesive part of the Firm as a whole.
Incoming associates to the Los Angeles and Palo Alto offices join either the General Practice (corporate) or Litigation Groups. As an associate in one of our California offices, you will have the opportunity to work on a wide array of matters in the following areas:
- Capital Markets, including advising on many SEC-registered and unregistered securities offerings.
- Investments, including advising clients in private equity transactions, including the organization and funding of venture capital entities and the acquisition, disposition and restructuring of investments.
- Mergers and Acquisitions, including advising corporations, commercial banks, investment banks and others in mergers, acquisitions and other corporate transactions.
- Litigation, including representing clients in all forms of securities, antitrust, intellectual property and other complex business litigation both as plaintiffs and defendants, as well as advising in SEC, Department of Justice, Federal Trade Commission and other types of investigative and regulatory proceedings.
- Project Finance, including participating in some of the more-than-$50 billion in project finance matters worldwide being handled by the Firm.
The relatively small size of the Los Angeles and Palo Alto offices is important to the working environment for our lawyers. It significantly adds to the collegiality and informality of the professional relationship among our lawyers and to the cohesiveness of the operation of both offices. Lawyers work closely with one another in a team approach.
In addition, all of the lawyers in the Los Angeles and Palo Alto offices participate, by teleconference, in regular breakfast meetings at which lawyers discuss significant issues in matters on which they are working and other developments of interest to the offices.
To learn more about our associate and summer associate positions, please see Your Career at S&C. Hiring for our U.S. offices is handled by each individual office. Please see the Apply section of our website for information on how to submit an application. For general inquiries, please contact:
Julie Von Haase
Sullivan & Cromwell LLP
550 Hamilton Avenue
Palo Alto, CA 94301-2010
E-mail: [email protected]